Exclude Computers From Automatically Push SCCM Client
In many situation i was needed to exclude specific computers (mostly servers), from getting SCCM client to be installed after configuring site-wide automatic client push installation method.
There is an option for editing the registry and add ExcludeServers list with all computers names that SCCM client shouldn't be install.
Basically, adding the ExcludeServers list with computer names will sets the install flag for that resource which prevent from the client to be installed automatically.
Add computers to the exclude list:
- Open the Windows Registry Editor on the SCCM site server for the site that you want to exclude a computer from joining.
- Locate the SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER sub-key by browsing to the following path:
- For a 32-bit operating system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Wow6432Node/Microsoft/SMS/Components/SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER
- For a 64-bit operating system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/SMS/Components/SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER
- To enter the name of the computers that you want to exclude, double-click the key ExcludeServers to open the Edit Multi-String window.
- In the Edit Multi-String window, specify the NetBIOS name of each computer that you want to exclude. Press the Enter key after you type each computer name to ensure that each computer name appears on a separate line.
- After you have entered all the computer names of computers to exclude, click OK. Close the Registry Editor window.
In case one of the server needs to be installed with SCCM client, that server name needs to be removed from the exclude list, and the install flag needs to be removed.
If you later remove the computer from the exclude list because you want to install the client, the installed flag remains. To clear this flag so that the client will install, you must also run the Clear Install Flag maintenance task.
To verify whether the installed flag is set for a computer, view the properties of the resource in the Administration workspace. The item Client in the Discovery data list displays Yes when the installed flag is set and No when the install flag is not set.